Solved: Surface Pro 3 Type Cover working in BIOS/UEFI, but NOT WORKING on Windows after an update

Hi all

After several attempts and after I changed my Surface Pro 3 i5 by another i7 because of the cover type problem, the same mishap has happened again after a damned update. Days and days of googling and following dozens of tutorials and many attempts to solve the problem, I was finally able to overcome it.

Here described below the steps to follow to fix the problem with Surface Cover Type after an update ;

Settings > Devices > Related Settings (click on Devices & Printers) > Double click on Surface Type Cover > Hardware > Select Wacom Device (to update its driver) > Click on Properties > Change properties > Drivers > Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > (Standard) USB Input Device > Next > Ok > Ok and it's done

It worked for me, I wish it will be the same for you. If more help needed I can make a video tutorial

All the best

Aziz

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If the typecover does not work in the UEFI (before Windows loads drivers) then
changing the driver inside of Windows won't help. Glad it worked for you.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Wacom Device is not a normal listing for SP3. There SHOULD be an entry here for Surface Type Cover. 

Settings > Devices > Related Settings (click on Devices & Printers) > Double click on Surface Type Cover > Hardware > Select Wacom Device (to update its driver) > Click on Properties > Change properties > Drivers > Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > (Standard) USB Input Device > Next > Ok > Ok and it's done

*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all

After several attempts and after I changed my Surface Pro 3 i5 by another i7 because of the cover type problem, the same mishap has happened again after a damned update. Days and days of googling and following dozens of tutorials and many attempts to solve the problem, I was finally able to overcome it.

Here described below the steps to follow to fix the problem with Surface Cover Type after an update ;

It worked for me, I wish it will be the same for you. If more help needed I can make a video tutorial

All the best

Aziz

Thanks for this, Aziz. It works for me. I tried all methods on the internet but they are useless. Lastly, thank you so much

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have looked at all the threads and none of the "fixes" worked for me.  I can connect a keyboard and mouse to use my Surface Pro 3 but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a Surface.  Could you forward the various threads of this issue to Microsoft support.  If they could spend a bit of time T-shooting this issue I would be glad to assist them.

I have a Surface Pro 3 i7 with Win 10 loaded.  I work in the computer industry as a Sr. Systems Engineer (MCSE) and I miss my surface.  My company gave me an HP laptop to replace my Surface until the issue is resolved.  

Also, the company has halted all purchases of Surface's until the issue is resolved.  (I work for a Fortune 500 company) 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft.  

if you want background on what a Microsoft MVP is, see https://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/Overview and for Volunteer Moderators see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/page/faq#faqWhosWho1 

That said, I've forwarded this issue (and a similar issue on SP4 typecovers) to Microsoft Support numerous times and the one time I received a response it was "these are individual hardware failures". Also my attempts to get the various threads on this merged by Forum management so that they can clearly see the trending have been unsuccessful at best. If you run this search using your favorite search engine (I used Google) " https://www.google.com/search?q=SP3+typecover+stopped+working+site%3Aanswers.microsoft.com&oq=SP3+typecover+stopped+working+site%3Aanswers.microsoft.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.15447j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  ", the results speak for themselves. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all

All the best

Aziz

This worked like a charm. I would like everyone with this problem to try it again. Follow the steps one by one and see how it goes. I'm really grateful.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately this fix will not work for me.  My type cover does not show up in Devices and Printers or even Device Manager.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

I have been fighting this issue for months.  I have tried all the suggestions on this thread but none have worked.  I also stopped by my local Microsoft store and had a tech look at it without success.

So, to finally get my Surface Pro3 back to working I purchased a 3rd party Bluetooth Touch Cover.  It cost me $64 USA and works like a charm.  The glide pad works like OEM and even has pinch and zoom along with a few other features. 

An additional plus is the backlighting adjusts to 7 different colors.  It also works with Surface Pro 3 and newer.

The only draw backs I have found so far are:

I have to charge it separately but doing that increases the Surfaces battery life. 

The other issue "very minor" is the magnet that attaches the Type Cover to the Surface is not as strong as OEM.

All said and done.  I prefer the OEM Type Cover but, the 3rd party comes in as a close second and I now have a fully functional Surface Pro again.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Fixed it for me are 3 days of trying everything else. See here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfupdate/surface-pro-4-keyboard-cover-causing-bluescreen/8d95fae2-7c60-4bec-b3a4-98ce34e872d5?messageId=e1c31844-dc94-4809-b663-0809dbf5bcb3

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info. This fixed my issues.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 20, 2024 Views 5,997 Applies to: